Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Draft Plan 5.0

Cool Solid plan

[QUOTE=monkey48;6283]Player draft positions are based on a Bleacherreport.com mock draft (7 rounds) that was published earlier today. Value of draft picks based on pcik value chart that can be found on wlaterfootball.com.

Trade 1: Send pick 28 to Arizona for picks 52, 84, 120, 160 and 196
    Trade 2: Send picks 60 and 168 to Atlanta for picks 68, 139, 147 and 255
    Trade 3: Send pick 196 to the Cowboys for picks 238 and 248

52. Allen Robinson, WR (Penn State). We need to find a no2 WR, somebody who can offer Cam a possession receiver who can get open consistently and pick-up yards after the catch. Robinson gives us all that, and to a very high level. He runs very nice routes and gets excellent release. His tape against Wisconsin shows an ability to get off press and get in a position to make a catch. He can also run into zone as evidenced by his game against UCF. Overall, he gives us that no2 option we have so lacked, similar to what Keenan Allen has done in San Diego.

68. Keith McGill, CB (Utah). Whilst I don't think size is the key attribute in a CB it can be useful. McGill has good size at 6'3 but also shows excellent fundamentals and good awareness. He looked very good in drills at the combine as well as on tape and has all the physical ability to develop into a Sherman-esque CB. He may not be an instant no1 CB he offers the ability to cover man-to-man opposite White.

84. Gabe Jackson, OG (Mississippi State). I don't think there is any need to panic about the situation at OG; Silatolu looks like a solid LG if he can stay fit and Williams is a decent back-up. However, Whilst Kugbila shows decent potential he has never played a NFL snap nor really faced top-tier collegiate competition. Whilst he may be able to be a RG in the NFL he may well not. Jackson is a huge guard who can open up holes in the run game with ease. He looked dominant blocking for Perkins in college and also was excellent in pass protection, having not given up a sack in the past 3 seasons. Overall, he is a blue-collar OL who can allow our running game develop from solid to elite.

92. Ja'Wuan James, OT (Tennessee). We need an LT, Bell is a poor RT let alone a LT. However, James shows every chance to be a starting LT at the NFL level. He looked excellent in pass protection for Tenn. and can also make plays in the running game. Whilst his lack of experience at LT may mean that he is not rated at the same level as Matthews or Robinson he has all the physical ability and technique required to play to the same level.

114. Gabe Ikard, C (Oklahoma). Whilst Kalil looks to be possibly the best C in the NFL at the moment with Byers and Hartanger gone we don't have any options should he be injured. Whilst I think this may be a better back-up than we need I think we can afford this pick and Ikard looks to be worthy of this pick. He is a able to handle NTs one-on-one in the running and passing games and also has the speed and agility to get downfield and make blocks on screens or in the running game.

139. Brandon Coleman, WR (Rutgers). I have said several times that I don't think that the physical freaks looking to go in the first two rounds (Benjamin and Bryant) are worth the risk. We have too many needs to possibly risk a day 2 pick. However, Coleman has all the same physical ability (he is possibly a better athlete) but he lacked the exposure of elite production to warrant a day 2 pick. As such I think we can afford to lose a day 3 pick given his upside and our need to find a outside receiver, even if it isn't on an every-down basis.

144. Mike Davis, WR (Texas). With Ginn gone we need to find a big-play receiver to give us what Ginn did. Davis also has elite speed and run-after-catch ability but has far better route-running skills than Ginn and also far more reliable hands. I would always argue that you should never evaluate WRs through their highlights, but we do need that highlight receiver and that is what Davis gives us, at a very reasonable price.

147. Vinnie Sunseri, S/CB (Alabama). Sunseri looked to be a solid day 2 pick before he got injured. He was solid in coverage for Alabama as well as being able to make big plays when needed. With Munnerlyn we need to find a new nickel corner and given Sunseri's experience there in the past I think he can be that player. He also gives us an upgrade in coverage compared to Munnerlyn who go burnt as often as he made the play. Although he did have a serious injury he mas no other injury history worth mentioning and I think he is well worth the risk at this stage.

160. Cameron Flemming, OT (Stanford). There was a period not too long ago when Flemming was being mocked to the late 2nd as a potential starting LT. However, his stock seems to have taken a plummet in recent days. Whilst I don't think he is worth the risk as a starting LT in the 3rd I do think he can be a solid RT and an improvement over Bell at the very least. He is used to playing in a run-based offence in college but also shows solid pass protection ability. Certainly worth this pick.

204. Zach Kerr, NT (Delaware). I cannot express how highly I rate Kerr. Whilst he us slightly shorter than the prototype NT he looks dominant on tape as well as testing well at the combine. He can manhandle blockers in both the running and passing game and constantly requires double teams. Whilst mainly projecting as a Cole or Star type run snuffer he can also use his surprising speed and agility to make plays in the passing game using his well-developed swim move. Crucially he shows a very high motor, never giving up on plays and chasing down outside runs and screens.

225. Ryan Groy, OT (Wisconsin). Groy played well at LT for Wisconsin in college and looked very good at the combine. Some have him moving inside to OG but I think he would work well as a back-up for James at LT. He doesn't have the agility to be a starting LT at the NFL level but he has sound fundamentals to act as a reliable back-up or move over to RT if needed. Not a game-changing pick but a solid addition.

238. Tahj Boyd, QB (Clemson). Boyd really should have declared last season. A former potential top 5 pick is now being mocked to the 7th for a multitude of reasons. Firstly, he didn't quite have the season he hoped for. Despite putting up decent numbers he also had some very poor games. Secondly this is a very strong QB class and teams are going to be less willing to go after riskier players when there are players like Carr and Bortles around. However, he does have a lot of natural athleticism when he looks to run and has a strong arm. He might not be known as a decision maker but he's not bad either and has good accuracy. Boyd is a victim of the nature of Qb stock where you are either a starter, a project or worthless. However, he should be a solid potential back-up given Anderson's increasing age.

248. De'Anthony Thomas, OW (Oregon). I hated it when the Jaguars used the OW tag last season, I saw it as a poor team looking to get some hype and media attention. However, players like Thomas and Austin do deserve this label. Neither are going to be able to line-up in the backfield 20 times a game as a starting HB, neither do they have to size to be starting WRs, certainly not every down. However they do both have elite speed and agility and the ability to make huge plays with the ball in their hands. However, I would suggest that we use Thomas not as the Rams use Austin as the focal point for their O but rather as the Ducks used him as a player who received 10-15 touches most games in a variety of ways largely on 2nd downs in order to keep a D guessing.

255. George Atkinson III, HB (Notre Dame). Atkinson had a fairly disappointing college career given his ability. He saw limited carries due to a fallout with Brian Kelly and as such is seeing very little attention coming into he draft. However, he has elite physical skills, he has the speed to take it to the house as well as having the power to run inside. He aslo possesses excellent vision when running the ball and can also contribute catching the ball out of he backfield and is a solid blocker. Although he has a lot of room to improve, when he saw numerous carries such as against Oklahoma last year and Miami and Navy the year before he showed Peterson-esque speed and power.

UDFAs will follow. Any Thoughts?[/The future's uncertain and the END is always near!
    ]
    You've certainly done your homework Monkeyman and I hope the powers that be consider your very good observations. Your thoughts have me reconsidering what I had already decided were the Panthers' best moves. Just goes to show folks that as soon as you think you've got it all figured out, there's a smarter guy (or girl) right behind you!

I think this is a great idea Monkey, the problem is that. Arizona won't take the first deal, unfortunately, but the other trades may/should go through.

If you do it based on pick valuations it should work out, but it could be modified. I don't see Ikard as a must-have player so we could instead trade pick 28 for their 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 6th (which is actually strongly biased to them on pick valuation as they have relatively late picks in each round). We could then perform all the other trades only then rather than trading picks 128 and 120 to the Jags (which I forgot to write in!) we could simply trade pick 128 which we have already for pick 144 (Jags) and their early 7th rounder which we could use to grab either an alternate C such as Halopio from Florida or another project player.

monkey, curious to hear your thoughts on Jared Abbrederis. He's projected to go round 4-5. I hadn't heard of him before last college season, when he tore up Ohio State for 207 yards and a TD. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-vs-ohio-state

He's a decent deep threat with ok but not exceptional speed who gets downfield well and can find the soft spot in zone coverage quite well. He does struggle up against tight man coverage and is unlikely to work as a starter in a pass-heavy O. He may work as a big play WR on a run-first O. Closest NFL comparison I can think of is Golden Tate.

Here's a curve ball on a 6'5 202 lbs WR oh Devon Bailey from Canada
    Yeah he probably needs some work but to bring inas a UDFA is worth a look.

Bio
    http://www.atlanticuniversitysport.c...201308244vj0nw

CFL Draft Prospect Devon Bailey - CIS Highlights
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsXqUp3jmYU

Our Kirk Penton sits in on a CFL combine interview
    http://www.torontosun.com/2014/03/23...bine-interview

He looks like a decent athlete but as a football player he's very raw. He might be worth bringing in as a UDFA but he would have to spend some time on the practice squad before he is ready to contribute. It's very hard to judge how good he actually is because he's just so much more athletic than the people he's going against. He looks very underdeveloped as a route runner and hasn't experienced much press. Still, it can't hurt, and we'll have plenty of room in the 90 man roster.

Guys the more film I watch on big WR's like Benjamin, Bryant, Mathews, Robinson, Coleman, Moncrief, Hoffman, Adams, Washington and any combination of these guys will improve our WR corp. Add Cooks, Abbrederis, Landry, Ellington, Huff, Saunders, Davis, Patton and Campanaro it's getting harder but easier at the same time.

But there are 2 that stand out to me if I could pick would be both in the 1st round in Cooks and Matthews.

The scary part is we just might have to face these guys to. So landing big CB's and Safeties might not be so bad after all. IMO

Brandin Cooks Ultimate 2013-14 Highlights
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjNHpFNA6J0

Cooks is a Steve smith clone per and simple, no explanation needed.

Jordan Matthews || Vanderbilt Highlights
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfoPwGsNhco

Matthews catching radius is unreal plus he is faster than people believe 4.4 40. Some guys can catch with one hand once in a blue moon. But Mathews seems to do it with ease. Talk about sinking hips to make a break in his route is something to watch, Stops on a dime, high points and can split defenders. I have watched this highlight several times and it just is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duane View Post
    Guys the more film I watch on big WR's like Benjamin, Bryant, Mathews, Robinson, Coleman, Moncrief, Hoffman, Adams, Washington and any combination of these guys will improve our WR corp. Add Cooks, Abbrederis, Landry, Ellington, Huff, Saunders, Davis, Patton and Campanaro it's getting harder but easier at the same time.

But there are 2 that stand out to me if I could pick would be both in the 1st round in Cooks and Matthews.

The scary part is we just might have to face these guys to. So landing big CB's and Safeties might not be so bad after all. IMO

Brandin Cooks Ultimate 2013-14 Highlights
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjNHpFNA6J0

Cooks is a Steve smith clone per and simple, no explanation needed.

Jordan Matthews || Vanderbilt Highlights
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfoPwGsNhco

Matthews catching radius is unreal plus he is faster than people believe 4.4 40. Some guys can catch with one hand once in a blue moon. But Mathews seems to do it with ease. Talk about sinking hips to make a break in his route is something to watch, Stops on a dime, high points and can split defenders. I have watched this highlight several times and it just is amazing.
    Cooks is a very good slot receiver, but he is very different from Steve in some key areas. How many times have we seen Steve go up and get the ball over a much bigger player using his ridiculous 38.5" vertical jump. Although Cooks' 36" isn't that far off the tape tells a very different tale. If you watch Cooks' tape vs Stanford in 2012 there are a number that are slightly under-thrown in traffic in the end zone and he just cannot compete for the ball in the air. That isn't that big an issue, as Cooks will likely be able to post good numbers from the slot without that, but that inability to compete for the ball in the air will prevent him from staying outside in the NFL in all likelihood. I'm not saying that he's not a good player, but I think calling him a Smith clone is going a bit too far.

Matthews' highlights are good, however, when you watch him play by play he doesn't look anywhere near as good. If you watch his tape against Florida in 2012; his first catch comes with under 7 mins to go in the 1st and is an endzone jump-ball where the DB mistimes it, that will happen in the NFL but it's not a eye-catching play. His next catch comes at under 3 mins to go in the first and is a screen for around 6 yards on 2nd down. He is then targeted on 3rd down with around 2 mins to go and fails to make the catch (he made contact with the ball but I'm not sure it could be called a drop). His next catch came on another 3rd down where he made the catch and immediately went out of bounds 3 or 4 yards short, that was with under 9 minutes to go in the 2nd. With under 12 mins to go in the 3rd he got called for a holding penalty that brought back a 50+ yard TD by Stacy. With just over 10 mins to go in the 3rd he converted on 3rd and 6th but required a pick play to get release from press, that was his first catch in 14 mins of play. A minute later he made a catch on a wheel route for around 15 yards on 2nd down, but wasn't covered on the play. He caught a dig route for around 15 yards with under 13 mins to go in the 4th (11 mins without a catch) against soft coverage as Florida where now trying to prevent a TD as they held a big lead. He has another catch on 3rd down for around 10 yards about a min later against similar coverage. With just under 12 mins to go he is the only receiver on a swing-out (in other words he has to get separation from one-on-one coverage for the play to work) which he fails to complete leading to a pick. He did pick up some charity yardage later on but the game was all but over by then. In total he posted 8 catches for 131 yards and a TD, but in reality he wasn't really a factor in the game, Vandy instead had to rely on the running game to stay in the game (Stacy ended up with 24 carries, with ever decreasing results as Florida was able to pack the box to an ever-greater degree).

I do like Cooks,I'm just not sure he's the best fir for our run-heavy O, but I wouldn't b upset if we took him. I'm not a big fan of Matthews as he often struggles to get separation against top-tier press coverage and due to his tendency to disappear for chunk of games means that he will likely be more of a no3 WR in the NFL as he lacks the consistency to be a no2 and the over quality to be a no1.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey48 View Post
    Cooks is a very good slot receiver, but he is very different from Steve in some key areas. How many times have we seen Steve go up and get the ball over a much bigger player using his ridiculous 38.5" vertical jump. Although Cooks' 36" isn't that far off the tape tells a very different tale. If you watch Cooks' tape vs Stanford in 2012 there are a number that are slightly under-thrown in traffic in the end zone and he just cannot compete for the ball in the air. That isn't that big an issue, as Cooks will likely be able to post good numbers from the slot without that, but that inability to compete for the ball in the air will prevent him from staying outside in the NFL in all likelihood. I'm not saying that he's not a good player, but I think calling him a Smith clone is going a bit too far.

Matthews' highlights are good, however, when you watch him play by play he doesn't look anywhere near as good. If you watch his tape against Florida in 2012; his first catch comes with under 7 mins to go in the 1st and is an endzone jump-ball where the DB mistimes it, that will happen in the NFL but it's not a eye-catching play. His next catch comes at under 3 mins to go in the first and is a screen for around 6 yards on 2nd down. He is then targeted on 3rd down with around 2 mins to go and fails to make the catch (he made contact with the ball but I'm not sure it could be called a drop). His next catch came on another 3rd down where he made the catch and immediately went out of bounds 3 or 4 yards short, that was with under 9 minutes to go in the 2nd. With under 12 mins to go in the 3rd he got called for a holding penalty that brought back a 50+ yard TD by Stacy. With just over 10 mins to go in the 3rd he converted on 3rd and 6th but required a pick play to get release from press, that was his first catch in 14 mins of play. A minute later he made a catch on a wheel route for around 15 yards on 2nd down, but wasn't covered on the play. He caught a dig route for around 15 yards with under 13 mins to go in the 4th (11 mins without a catch) against soft coverage as Florida where now trying to prevent a TD as they held a big lead. He has another catch on 3rd down for around 10 yards about a min later against similar coverage. With just under 12 mins to go he is the only receiver on a swing-out (in other words he has to get separation from one-on-one coverage for the play to work) which he fails to complete leading to a pick. He did pick up some charity yardage later on but the game was all but over by then. In total he posted 8 catches for 131 yards and a TD, but in reality he wasn't really a factor in the game, Vandy instead had to rely on the running game to stay in the game (Stacy ended up with 24 carries, with ever decreasing results as Florida was able to pack the box to an ever-greater degree).

I do like Cooks,I'm just not sure he's the best fir for our run-heavy O, but I wouldn't b upset if we took him. I'm not a big fan of Matthews as he often struggles to get separation against top-tier press coverage and due to his tendency to disappear for chunk of games means that he will likely be more of a no3 WR in the NFL as he lacks the consistency to be a no2 and the over quality to be a no1.
    Well I appreciate your opinion and I tend to see things a little different. But when it comes draft time I still want a WR in the 1st and 2nd round.