Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 2013 Carolina Panthers failed completions

It's really not important but when you switch around to different sites like i do it's hard to remember where you heard what comments..
    It seems that fans here have enough since to realize if Gman fails the team fails but it doesn't seem that way everywhere. I don't know how many of ya read the posts on the Panthers site but wow, there's been some unsettling posts over there about DG.
    I read were Armond Smith is still unsigned but hoping for a tryout with some team this fall. I'd say we've seen the last of him here in Charlotte but he was a decent backup back.

Quote Originally Posted by koda View Post
    It's really not important but when you switch around to different sites like i do it's hard to remember where you heard what comments..
    It seems that fans here have enough since to realize if Gman fails the team fails but it doesn't seem that way everywhere. I don't know how many of ya read the posts on the Panthers site but wow, there's been some unsettling posts over there about DG.
    I read were Armond Smith is still unsigned but hoping for a tryout with some team this fall. I'd say we've seen the last of him here in Charlotte but he was a decent backup back.
    Umm, this is the Panthers' site isn't it??? LOL

I don't like Gettleman's moves, until yesterday that is as I did like adding ****son and DeCoud, but I will at least give him until the midway point of the season before calling for his job. I do give him credit for his drafting ability and finding undrafted FAs. Our draft was very good last year. If Kugbila turns out to be as good as the other guys we drafted, which I doubt but hopefully we will find out this year, then I will say he had probably our best draft ever. Right now I feel our OL and WR group are pitiful. He needs to hit homeruns in the draft at those spots. If he can do that then I think a lot will be forgiven about this offseason. However, if he doesn't hit some homeruns at WR and OL then this is going to be a very long season and there will be a lot of angry fans after the team went 12-4 last year and looked as though they were only a few pieces away from contending for a Super Bowl again this year.

Oh and one thing I forgot to mention. Unfortunately a lot of Steve Smith fans are probably never going to forgive Gettleman for the way he handled that situation. Whether it was time to go or not is beside the point. The fact remains he handled the situation about as terribly as it could have been handled and that's where a lot of fans are upset. If he had talked to Smith behind closed doors, had a press conference to thank one of our best players ever, and then let fans know we were parting ways because we wanted to go young or whatever the reason, then I think fans wouldn't be nearly as bitter. However things didn't go that way and a lot of fans are going to be bitter about that for a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by barryn View Post

I don't like Gettleman's moves, until yesterday that is as I did like adding ****son and DeCoud, but I will at least give him until the midway point of the season before calling for his job. I do give him credit for his drafting ability and finding undrafted FAs. Our draft was very good last year. If Kugbila turns out to be as good as the other guys we drafted, which I doubt but hopefully we will find out this year, then I will say he had probably our best draft ever. Right now I feel our OL and WR group are pitiful. He needs to hit homeruns in the draft at those spots. If he can do that then I think a lot will be forgiven about this offseason. However, if he doesn't hit some homeruns at WR and OL then this is going to be a very long season and there will be a lot of angry fans after the team went 12-4 last year and looked as though they were only a few pieces away from contending for a Super Bowl again this year.
    I think he meant people writing on the main website rather than here. I think both are decent signings but I'm not sure either are that significant. Decoud might mean that Godfrey's gone as we already have Harper, Godfrey, Lester and Jones. Unless, and ESPN did do something on this, Godfrey moves to nickel, DeCoud goes to FS and Lester and Harper rotate a SS maybe with DeCoud as well at both spots. We do need to repeat the success of last years draft if we want to stay competitive as both WR and OL are weak I agree. I'm not sure we have to find stars (Lotulelei and Short were very good but I'm not sure they are star players) but we need to find those solid starting players that we can maybe add a star or two too when we have fewer needs. If we can find another starting WR at least and a LT and maybe RG and RT then I think we have a good chance to repeat what we did last year. If not, it may be a painful season.

Quote Originally Posted by barryn View Post
    Oh and one thing I forgot to mention. Unfortunately a lot of Steve Smith fans are probably never going to forgive Gettleman for the way he handled that situation. Whether it was time to go or not is beside the point. The fact remains he handled the situation about as terribly as it could have been handled and that's where a lot of fans are upset. If he had talked to Smith behind closed doors, had a press conference to thank one of our best players ever, and then let fans know we were parting ways because we wanted to go young or whatever the reason, then I think fans wouldn't be nearly as bitter. However things didn't go that way and a lot of fans are going to be bitter about that for a very long time.
    I think that's probably true. I'm not sure I will ever forgive Gettleman for the way he handled it, but I am a fan of this team and always will be so you just have to put your annoyance to one side. I did read on ESPN an idea for Steve to return here after his contract with Baltimore is up so he can end a Panther, similar to what Kasay did last year. If he does retire while at Baltimore I think that is something Gettleman should push for as regardless of whether or not you think we need him on the roster right now, he is arguably the greatest and certainly the most loved player in franchise history. And I think to not celebrate that would be a bit disrespectful and tactless to both Smith and the fanbase.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey48 View Post
    I think that's probably true. I'm not sure I will ever forgive Gettleman for the way he handled it, but I am a fan of this team and always will be so you just have to put your annoyance to one side. I did read on ESPN an idea for Steve to return here after his contract with Baltimore is up so he can end a Panther, similar to what Kasay did last year. If he does retire while at Baltimore I think that is something Gettleman should push for as regardless of whether or not you think we need him on the roster right now, he is arguably the greatest and certainly the most loved player in franchise history. And I think to not celebrate that would be a bit disrespectful and tactless to both Smith and the fanbase.
    I'm sure they will sign Smitty to a 1 day contract so he can retire a Panther. I know he'd want that, and every fan would to.

panthers.com was what i was referring to...
    This is boards.panthers.com

Thank you for such an excellent post.

Quote Originally Posted by Duane View Post
    Here is something that totally amazes me. How can we be ranked 29th in passing WHEN........

So Gettleman IMO zeroed in on a problem and took care of it.

From article.
    The good news is the distribution of Newton's failed completions: just 29.3% of the QB's failed completions came on third down. Newton is sandwiched between Aaron Rodgers (29.5%) and Andrew Luck (28.9%), with the seventh lowest percentage in the NFL. For reference, Colin Kaepernick (50%), and Eli Manning (47.2%) have the worst numbers, while Tony Romo (22.1%) and Peyton Manning (22.6%) settled for the fewest failed completions on third downs.
    http://www.catscratchreader.com/2014...ula-third-down

So with a Completion rating like this and being ranked 29th, everything IMO pointed to the WR Corp.
    As you can see Cam was on target, where Kaepernick and Manning tanked as QB's.
    So starting over with a whole new WR corp was the right business decision, not the most popular.

Some can argue either way, but I have pointed out in the past a great QB can make an average WR look good. Then a great WR can make an average QB look good.

OK here we are in the middle of Oct. and I stated this post/ thread in March before the draft and after the season ended. We were gearing up for OTA's and looking at Free Agents during this period.

We were Calling for Rivera's and Shula's job or at least I was and at the beginning when I posted I put 2 people up that I thought could turn this team around. Sadly I will back track and take Les Miles off the board, because that would be a mistake seeing that he hired Cam Cameron as his OC who is a Shula clone on conservative offenses.

Guys if we don't change Shula soon it's going to take us years to start to show improvement again as a team. What will happen is Rivera and Shula will blame the players and a war is going to start between Rivera and Gettleman. The argument will be with Rivera saying we need talent and Gettleman is say I'm getting it and you won't coach it or play them.

This will rip a team apart in no time. To head it off you have to change the OC who can plan games to Cam's style of play. Cam plays todays style of football and Shula is stuck in the 70's.

This is why I have lobbied for Texas A&M OC Clarence McKinney and I still am. I even like John Ramsdell and if you couple Ramsdell with McKinney I think you will see one of the most explosive offenses in the league for years to come.

What does this do for Rivera. simple makes him look good because he doesn't have anything to do with the offense.

See it's different from when Rivera played for HC Mike Ditka and DC Buddy Ryan. The Bears were 2 different teams. Ditka had control of the offense and Ryan the Defense. Ron & McDermott has Defense and Shula has Offense. What that means is what ever Shula is putting in Rivera's ear he ahs to go with. That's how Rivera is wired.

Now that the defense is struggling Ron is focusing all his attention on defense while the offense is suffering. It's blowing up in his face and he doesn't know how to get a handle on it. This is how it is a disaster to the team over the long period of time. The players see the coaches failing.

It's never good when coaches are saying we are not swarming to the ball and tackling in the press. Rivera is to honest to a point. You don't bring it up to the media and you talk to the players one on one.

There is so much to football it isn't funny. The rookies or any player these days come from broken homes without a father. Or the dad isn't in the picture most of the time. So these young guys look up to the coaches as father figures to guide them. It's more than about talent. So when a player or team is called out the yare looking at the coach as the coach and a father figure to fix things or have
    answer to the problem.

Yeah I know I did that spill last year to.
    “You must learn how to hold a team together. You must lift some men up, calm others down, until finally they’ve got one heartbeat. Then you’ve got yourself a team.” Bear Bryant