Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Patriots overrated

Quote Originally Posted by Duane View Post
    I agree, I think the DB's are going to shine. We did a good job last week. Munnerlyn can't drop a pick six this week. Every yard. turn over etc. we need.
    How ever I do expect TE Brandon Williams to be another impact player the Patriots haven't counted on. Williams 6'4" 250lbs 40-4.50 but has a 36" vertical leap. I've been waiting all season for his turn to make an impression. Two TE set that can catch the ball. Cam needs to hit him early to get him over his jitters.
    This would be a new look the Patriots are famous for the Panthers. You defiantly can run and catch out of this set up.
    Also really looking forward to seeing how Williams will play. I think several of us have been pushing or him to get more playing time for a while and, if he shows he is up to a bigger role, the we can definitely look at modifying our playbook to get him more involved.

I've seen this Williams' kid mentioned a few times and I'm a little puzzled as to why anyone would be hoping he plays tonight. The kid is a rookie who hasn't seen any game action this year. If you read his bio it says he spent 2 years at Oregon where he played in 11 games and caught a grand total of 2 ***** for 48 yards. Just because a guy can run and jump does not mean he can play football. Perhaps some of you don't remember Al Davis and the way he ran Oakland, but the reason they have stunk for the past 10+ years is because if a guy could run fast, then he wanted them. All he wanted was WRs who could outrun the defense and a QB who could get it to him. So he drafted guys like Jamarcus Russell and Darius Heyward-Bey and other guys who were Olympic sprinters. How well has that worked out the past few years? If you went based strictly on 40 times, vertical jumps, shuttle times, etc, then guys like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Drew Brees probably would have never been drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by barryn View Post
    I've seen this Williams' kid mentioned a few times and I'm a little puzzled as to why anyone would be hoping he plays tonight. The kid is a rookie who hasn't seen any game action this year. If you read his bio it says he spent 2 years at Oregon where he played in 11 games and caught a grand total of 2 ***** for 48 yards. Just because a guy can run and jump does not mean he can play football. Perhaps some of you don't remember Al Davis and the way he ran Oakland, but the reason they have stunk for the past 10+ years is because if a guy could run fast, then he wanted them. All he wanted was WRs who could outrun the defense and a QB who could get it to him. So he drafted guys like Jamarcus Russell and Darius Heyward-Bey and other guys who were Olympic sprinters. How well has that worked out the past few years? If you went based strictly on 40 times, vertical jumps, shuttle times, etc, then guys like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Drew Brees probably would have never been drafted.
    I would like to see Williams get some playing time just because we believe he might have the athletic ability to shine but I'm like you, I would rather wait before we send him out there in a game like this. This game is the biggest we've seen in the Ron Rivera/Cam Newton era, so we can't afford players dropping ballz (gotta misspell these words here barryn so it don't bleep em out lol). If they play him, great, but the kid better not mess up tonight. We need this win more than they do.

Williams was only really used for a few games before an injury concern (similar to what Jones experienced at USC) prevented him from playing further. Williams measurables are not the reason I wan't him to play. I wan't him to play because, before he was injured, he was a very highly touted player at Oregon, and I think that talent is definitely there. I'm not saying we give him a big role, but it would be nice to throw in a few 2TE plays. Catching was never an issue for him, as far as I can tell, he played basketball at a decent level for many years after Oregon and I think he could catch the ball OK then.

I'm not saying he can't catch a football. If they have him in for a few plays then that's fine. I wouldn't want to see us get away from what got us here unless it proves successful. We really don't know how this guy would perform in prime time football under the lights with a full house cheering him on, I mean that video shows that he can make plays but did you see the stands in those games? Let's just hope that we can perform up to the level we've been playing these last 5 games tonight and get the win.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey48 View Post
    Williams was only really used for a few games before an injury concern (similar to what Jones experienced at USC) prevented him from playing further. Williams measurables are not the reason I wan't him to play. I wan't him to play because, before he was injured, he was a very highly touted player at Oregon, and I think that talent is definitely there. I'm not saying we give him a big role, but it would be nice to throw in a few 2TE plays. Catching was never an issue for him, as far as I can tell, he played basketball at a decent level for many years after Oregon and I think he could catch the ball OK then.
    Look at his bio. He played 2 years in JC before transferring to Oregon where he played 11 games. 11 games seems like a good sample size at the D1 level and he managed to make 2 catches. Nothing against JC players, but I think if I was 6'5" and 250 lbs, I could do whatever I wanted to at that level. This game is too important to throw a 26 year old rookie out there who hasn't played in like 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by beefieee View Post
    Brady will try to force it and throw a INT ending the game in the forth.
    Brady is not even in the top 10 QBs this year and has had only one 300+ yrd game.
    Ginn is a good WR but we need to use him better
    I for see a few 15+yrd catch for a 1st down by Ginn this game
    That guy's a football genius. He singled out Ted Ginn, called the INT, and called that Brady wouldn't get over 300yrds. And didn't that guy say the 49ers wouldn't break 10 points?